Stuffed zucchini flowers





My friends, I have to tell you about another delicious recipe for zucchini flowers.
I prepared them yesterday for dinner, and they were so good, that in the end I wished I had prepared more than just 10.
My husband loved them, too. Since I made the filling quite freely there was a lot left, so I thought "Why not try stuffing some other vegetables the same way?". Well, of all "other vegetables" I had only tomatoes, so that's what I tried. And they were good, but I should have baked them a bit longer than I did, because my tomatoes were very big, and so was my hunger. Besides I didn't want my flowers to get cold (hehehe, I almost burnt my mouth trying to taste them right out of the oven).
And, of course, to show you that there IS actually meat served at my house, I included these delicious grilled pork tenderloin medalions on the menu.
What else can I say? If you like mashed potatoes and want to try and give that classic a little twist, take this recipe in consideration. I'm pretty sure this would work great with zucchini, eggplants, bell peppers, etc. Have you got any ideas what else you could stuff? Oh, just got an idea, what about puff pastry of fillo rolls? Yummy.
Dang, I won't have oven for whole three weeks while on holiday, and I'm sure I'll miss baking and roasting things.

POTATO AND MOZZARELLA STUFFED ZUCCHINI FLOWERS

12 zucchini flowers
3 medium-small potatoes
100 g mozzarella cheese
3-4 slices Prosciutto
a handfull of fresh pasley leaves
grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
salt, pepper


for sprinkling:
2 slices of dry bread + 2 teaspoons chopped parsley leaves + 20 g (1,5 tblspoons) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Carefully remove pistils from flowers, wash them and dry with kitchen paper.

Boil unpeeled potatoes for about 30 minutes. Peel them and mesh or pass through a potato ricer. Mix in the the grated mozzarella, finely chopped parsley leaves, grated Parmigiano and chopped prosciutto, salt and pepper to your taste.

Carefully fill the flowers using a spoon or with your hands. The flowers are very delicate, be careful not to break them.

Line a baking dish with a piece of baking paper and drizzle with oil. Place the stuffed flowers in the dish without overlapping them. Brush each flower with oil.
Process the dry bread in your food processor with blade attachment to get coarse breadcrumbs. Mix those with the grated Parmigiano and parsley leaves. Sprinkle this mixture over the flowers.

Bake them for 20 minutes in a hot oven (200°C). Serve warm.

Since I had less than 12 flowers I had some extra filling, so I stuffed two tomatoes.
My advice is not to choose too big tomatoes like mine were.
Cut off the top of your tomatoes and carefully remove all the inside (the seeds and divisions) leaving only the "shell". Salt the inside and fill them with potato and mozzarella filling, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with bread crumbs, just like you did with the flowers.

Bake until tomatoes are soft and the filling nice and crusty.



This morning, there were more flowers to pick. And since the whole foodblogging world has been twisting my arm to make some fried zucchini flowers, I gave in and made these for dessert.

I prepared a simple batter ("pastella") with flour, water and a little orange juice, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. It has to be liquid, but dense enough to stick to the flowers. I dipped the flowers into the batter and fried them in hot peanut oil until golden. I let them drain on some kitchen paper, sprinkled with sugar and they were gone before you could snap your fingers.



Check other recipes for zucchini flowers:
RICOTTA FILLED ZUCCHINI FLOWERS
SAFFRON MARINATED ZUCCHINI RISOTTO

FIORI DI ZUCCHINE CON PATATE, MOZZARELLA E PROSCIUTTO

Vi sembrerà strano forse, ma io soltanto quest'anno ho scoperto la bontà dei fiori di zucchina (visto che ho piantato le zucchine nel mio orticello minuscolo) e l'infinite possibilità che offrono, per non parlare del loro sapore leggero e delizioso. Quasi tutte le ricette che ho trovato erano per i fiori fritti in pastella, ma io cercavo le idee per farle nell'forno. E sono riuscita a trovarne due.
La prima era per i Fiori ripieni di zucchine e ricotta, e la seconda e questa che vi propongo oggi.
In realtà, la ricetta l'avevo trovata nella Cucina Moderna, ma ho cambiato quasi tutti gli ingredienti (ho sostituito le acciughe, i capperi, le olive ed emmental, con mozzarella e prosciutto, semplice, no?) Ed ecco il risultato e la ricetta.



(ingredienti per 4 persone)
12 fiori di zucchina
3 patate
100 g di mozzarella
3-4 fettine sottili di Prosciutto
prezzemolo tritato
Parmigiano Reggiano

2 fette di pancarré
olio EVO

Pulite delicatamente i fiori di zucchine ed eliminate i pistilli interni.
Lessate le patate con la buccia per 30 minuti. Scolatele e schiacciate.
In una ciotola mescolate il purè di patate con la mozzarella grattugiata, e il prosciutto tagliato a pezzettini piccoli.
Regolate di sale e pepe.
Riempite molto delicatamente i fiori, fatte aderire i petali al ripieno per racchiuderli completamente.
Sistemate i fiori in una teglia foderata con un foglio di carta da forno, bagnata e strizzata. Sistemate i fiori senza sovrapporli.
Tritate il pancarré nel mixer, mischiatelo con le scaglie di Parmigiano e il prezzemolo tritato.
Spennellate i fiori con un po' di olio, cospargeteli con il composto di pane e Parmigiano, e cuoceteli nel forno a 200°C per 20 minuti.

Poiché mi è avanzata la farcia di patate, ho sperimentato con i pomodori.
Ho tagliato la parte superiore e ho scavato l'interno. Poi li ho riempiti con il composto di patate, mozzarella e prosciutto e cotto nello stesso modo come i fiori.
Credo che nello stesso modo potrebbero essere riempite anche tante altre verdure - zucchine, melanzane, peperoni, ecc.

Ma, la ciliegina e arrivata il giorno dopo. Avevo trovato altri 5 fiori. Ho preparato la pastella con la farina, acqua e succo d'arancia (è una mia idea, perché credo che le zucchine e arance vanno benissimo insieme). Ho tuffato i fiori prima nella pastella e poi nell'abbondante olio di arachidi caldissimo. Una volta fritti li ho fatti sgocciolare sulla carta assorbente e poi li ho divorati, cosparsi con lo zucchero. Provateli, sono una bontà infinita.



PUNJENI I ZAPEČENI CVJETOVI TIKVICE

Sastojci (za 4 osobe):

12 cvjetova tikvice ili buče
3 krumpira
100 g mozzarelle
3-4 tanke kriške pršuta
ribani sir Parmigiano (parmezan)
sitno nasjeckani peršun

2 manje kriške suhog kruha
20 g krupno naribanog parmezana
2 žličice sitno nasjeckanog lista peršuna

Cvjetove pažljivo operite i uklonite tučkove. Operite i ostavite da se osuše na kuhinjskom papiru.
Neoguljen krumpir kuhajte 30 minuta. Ogulite i zgnječite u pire. Dodajte mu krupno naribanu mozzarellu i sitno nasjeckani pršut, sol, papar i peršun.
Napunite pažljivo cvjetove smjesom od krumpira, i lagano pritisnite latice da prionu uz punjenje.
Slažite napunjene cvjetove u tepsiju obloženu papirom za pečenje (koji ste prethodno namočili u vodi i dobro iscijedili). Nauljite cvjetove i pospite smjesom kruha (koji ste grubo samljeli u mixeru), parmezana i peršuna.
Pecite 20-ak minuta na 200°C.


Istom smjesom napunila sam i rajčice. Odrezala sam im vrh (dio gdje stoji peteljka) i izdubila unutrašnjost. napunila sam ih smjesom krumpira, posula smjesom od kruha i ispekla (dok rajčice ne omekane, a površina bude lijepo zapečena).

Također sam napravila i ovaj desert od prženih cvjetova. Napravila sam smjesu od brašna, malo vode i malo soka od naranče (malo gušće nego za palačinke), umočila cvjetove i potom ispržila u vrelom ulju. Ostavila sam ih da se ocijede na kuhinjskom papiru i posula šećerom. Za prste polizati.


Comments

  1. These look amazing Dajana! I have never seen zucchini flowers around here - may have to grow my own next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quest'anno, tra fiori e zucchine non so più come prepararli, buonissima ricetta. Grazie, bacio

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look beautiful great job, yum proscuito you have great ingredients where you live lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deliziosa questa ricetta,immagino il sapore dei fiori del tuo orticello....sai che bontà ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Thanks, Cathy. Be sure to give them a try next year.
    *è vero, Solema, ma godiamoceli finché ci sono.
    *Thanks, Rebecca, Italy is a paradise when it comes to good food
    *Grazie, Nanny, me li godo ancora per qualche giorno, quando torno dalle vacanze non ci sarà più niente,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, those look wicked good! I need to get some of those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! you had me at Prosciutto!! everything looks wonderful. my neighbor is growing zucchini. I'm going to have to ask her for the flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need more blossoms!!!! I need to make this... It looks DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That stuffing is incredible!!! So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of these uses of zucchini flowers!! I can't wait to plant some zucc's next year. I keep eyeing my neighbors flowers (they didn't even know you could eat them before I told them)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't tried my flowers! I will. Maybe tomorrow. You are so great at coming up with recipes for these! I have zucchini coming out my ears almost. I made stuffed zucchini on my grill a couple of nights ago. It was pretty good.

    I am going to do a progressive dinner soon with 2 other bloggers and I think we are going with Italian food. I would like to use one of your recipes if you don't mind. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *Danielle and Girlchef, what are you waiting for, grab some flowers from your neighbours, I'm sure they won't mind
    *Kim, I know, zucchini have quite a long season. Do try the flowers, you'll love them.
    And, of course, be my guest, and pick up something for you dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. che buoni i firoi di zucchina, io ne vado matta me mangerei in tutti i modi... complimenti così non li ho mai fatti, m i copio la ricetta.
    buona giornata.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi, Welcome to my blog. I love hearing your feedback, so don't hesitate to say what you think, or ask any question, I'd be glad to help.

Benvenuti! Mi fa piacere che vi siete fermati qui. Se vi va, lasciatemi un commento, una domanda, o altro, li leggerò con piacere.

Hvala vam na posjeti. Volim pročitati vaše mišljenje, stoga je svaki dobronamjeran komentar dobro došao kao i pitanja i nedoumice. Trudit ću se odgovoriti svima.

Popular Posts